|New Holland Pioneer George C. Delp Dies|
NEW HOLLAND, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 10, 2001--CNH Global (N: CNH) said today that George C. Delp, credited with transforming the small New Holland Machine Company into an international force in the equipment industry, died Saturday, April 7, 2001, after a brief illness. The agricultural industrialist and former New Holland president was 92.
A native of Lancaster County, PA, Delp started his career in the farm equipment industry in 1928 with the Mountville (PA) Manufacturing Company. In 1933, he became assistant general manager of the farm machinery division (847) 955-3939 of the Dellinger Manufacturing Company in Lancaster and, in 1940, purchased the New Holland Machine Company along with several other Lancaster County investors. He was appointed general manager, secretary and treasurer of the company.
Under Delp's leadership, the company was reorganized, with progressive ideas for production, research and development put into practice. Delp and his fellow investors also acquired the production rights to the world's first commercially successful automatic pick-up, self-tie hay baler. The machine, invented by a Lancaster County farmer, revolutionized haymaking, and reversed the fortunes of the New Holland Machine Company.
During the 1940's, as the revitalized company prospered, it expanded its product line and manufacturing facilities by acquiring other farm equipment manufacturers. As a result of its progressive policies and management, the New Holland Machine Company, which had been near the bottom of the list of more than 1,000 farm machinery makers in the U.S., gained a place among the top ten in the world.
In 1947, the New Holland group of companies was sold to the Sperry Corporation. Delp was named president of the New Holland division, a position he held until his retirement in 1969. He continued to serve as chairman of Sperry New Holland, as the company was then known, until he officially retired from those duties in 1973. However, he remained active as a consultant for the company. In 1993, the Equipment Manufacturers Institute honored Delp as one of the "100 Most Significant Contributors" to the mechanization of the agricultural and construction industries in the past century.
He served as president of the Farm & Industrial Equipment Institute (now Equipment Manufacturers Institute) in 1966, was a member of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, past president and director of the Manufacturers Association of Lancaster, director of the National Association of Manufacturers, vice president of the Pennsylvania Economic Education Council (now Economic America), and past director of the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business & Industry, with the title of honorary director. He received honorary degrees from Franklin & Marshall College and Gettysburg College, and was the recipient of the Progress Award from the American Society of Tool & Manufacturing Engineers in 1964.